Sales categories provide a way to categorize quote items. You can also set the default tax rate for a category.
If you integrate with Xero or QuickBooks Online, specifying a category in the quote will flow right through to the invoice and chart of accounts.
You can manage categories in Settings > Sales categories.
Create a new category
- Hit 'New sales category'.
- Enter a category name (this is for internal reference, it doesn't display on quotes).
- Match to a default tax rate (which means this tax rate will be applied when this category is selected).
- Match to an integration category (if you integrate with Xero or QuickBooks Online).
- Hit 'Save'.
Set a default category
- Click to edit the category which you'd like to have as the new default.
- Hit 'Actions' (top right) and select 'Make default'.
- And you're done – It's now the default for new price items.
Archive a category
- Click to edit the category which you no longer need.
- Hit 'Actions' (top right) and select 'Archive'.
- It's now archived, though you can access it in the future from the 'Filter by' drop-down.