Sales Categories provide a way to categorize Price Items. You can also set the default Tax Rate for a Sales Category.
If you integrate with Xero or QuickBooks Online, specifying a Sales Category in the Quote will flow right through to the invoice and chart of accounts.
You can manage categories in Settings > Sales Categories.
Create a new Sales Category
- Hit 'New Sales Category'.
- Enter a Category Name (this is for internal reference, it doesn't display on Quotes).
- Optionally enter a Description.
- Match to a Default Tax Rate (which means this Tax Rate will be applied when this Sales Category is selected).
- Match to an integration category (if you integrate with Xero or QuickBooks Online).
- Hit 'Save'.
Set a default Sales Category
- Click to edit the Sales Category which you'd like to have as the new default.
- Hit 'Actions' (top right) and select 'Make default'.
- And you're done – it's now the default for new Price Items.
Archive a Sales Category
- Click to edit the Sales Category which you no longer need.
- Hit 'Actions' (top right) and select 'Archive'.
- It's now archived, though you can access it in the future from the 'Filter by' drop-down.